News / 31st January 2021
From the Domesday entry:
In Elvington, Ulfketill had 6 carucates of land taxable, where 3 ploughs are possible. Now, Aethelwulf has it from William. He has there 1 plough and 3 villagers with 1 plough. There is a church and 2 fisheries paying 1000 eels. Meadow, 10 acres, woodland pasture, 1 league long and 1½ wide. The whole 1 league long and 1 wide. Value before 1066 40s, now 10s
Richard Neville 'The Kingmaker' once held the Manor of Elvington. Laurence Sterne spent a few years of his childhood living at the Hall. The manorial rights were sold in 1891 and no more is known of them. In the 12th century Meaux Abbey was granted a cartload of wood from Elvington. There were weavers mentioned in 1390.
Wheldrake Lane was built in the 18th century. The font inside the church is of Norman origins. There have been at least 3 churches including the present one
The chestnut tree on the corner of Dauby lane was planted in 1935 Which was also the site of the village pinfold. The Parish Hall was formerly the village school and was built in 1858. Church lane cottages were built in the 1860s. Green lane used to be road to Wheldrake before the Enclosure in 1743. The bus shelter was built in 1953 to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
The Post office has been in 5 different places in the village, Glencoe, Cobwebs, Fairleigh, The Old Post Office, and Greensides.
The doctor's surgery has also moved around, first it was at Albion House, then The Glenn, then Brook House, then on the side of the Old Rectory and now in its present location at the Sports field. The Willows was the home of the village butcher for over 100 years
The first 'Lock' house was built in 1782. Money was left in the 14th century to build a bridge, before then there was a ferry.
The Raney family were the village blacksmiths for over 100 years; they were at what now is Blacksmith's close. The pub was once in one of the cottages on the Green.
The 'new' school was built on the corner of Dauby lane in 1969.
The Jefferson family bought the shop at the beginning of the 20th century.
Derwent House was once owned by some members of the Rowntree family (chocolate makers)